Shrimp with Chili Paste
PREP AND COOK TIME: About 30 minutes
NOTES: Chilies are winners with shrimp in Sunset. This recipe appeared in August
MAKES: 4 or 5 servings
1/3 cup lemon juice 2 tablespoons salad oil 1 onion (1/2 lb.), chopped 1/2 cup
lightly packed fresh cilantro 2 tablespoons minced garlic 1 tablespoon fresh
ginger 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapeno chilies 1 cup plain nonfat
yogurt 1 1/2 pounds colossal shrimp (10 to 15 per lb.), shelled and de-veined
1. In a blender or food processor, whirl lemon juice, oil, onion, cilantro,
garlic, ginger, and chilies until smooth.
2. Mix 1/3 cup chili mixture with yogurt.
3. In a bowl, mix the remaining chili mixture with shrimp and let stand at least
10 or up to 30 minutes, then thread shrimp onto metal skewers.
4. Prepare barbecue for direct heat (page 96, step 1). When grill is hot (step
2) lay skewered shrimp on it. Turn to cook shrimp evenly until they are opaque
but still moist-looking in thickest part (cut to test), 5 to 8 minutes.
5. Push shrimp off skewers and serve with yogurt sauce and salt to taste.
Per serving: 220 cal., 31% (68 cal.) from fat; 26 g protein; 7.6 g fat (1.1 g
sat.); 11 g carbo (0.9 g fiber); 205 mg sodium; 169 mg chol.