Apricot Breakfast Biscuits
Posted by: Elaines Wed, 26 May 2004, at 10:39 a.m.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/3 cup butter
• 1/3 cup apricot preserves
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 - 2 teaspoons milk
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Using a
pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well
in the center.
2. Snip any large pieces of preserves. Combine 1/2 cup milk and the preserves in
a small bowl. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir just until dough clings
together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead by gently
folding and pressing dough 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth.
3. Lightly roll or pat until 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-inch
biscuit cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Place biscuits 1 inch
apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with milk. Combine sugar and
cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over biscuits.
4. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve
warm. Makes 10 biscuits.
Make-Ahead Tip: Cool completely and place biscuits in freezer container or bags.
To reheat for serving, wrap frozen biscuits in foil; heat in a 325 degree F oven
about 20 minutes or until hot.