Apricot Cream Cake
Posted by: Elaine Mon, 9 Feb 2004, at 9:16 a.m.
Makes 1 (10-inch) round cake (12 servings)
2 cups chopped dried apricots (1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces)
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup flake coconut
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon Butter Flavor CRISCO® Stick or 1 tablespoon Butter Flavor CRISCO®
all-vegetable shortening, melted
1 package (8 ounces) light (Neufchâtel) cream cheese, softened
1/2 Butter Flavor CRISCO® Stick or 1/2 cup Butter Flavor CRISCO® all-vegetable
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
10 pecan halves
SMUCKER'S® Caramel Topping
10 dried apricot halves
1. For filling, place chopped apricots in medium saucepan. Add water to cover
(about 1 cup). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover. Simmer until tender. Stir in
2/3 cup sugar. Cool completely. Stir in 1/3 cup nuts.
2. For topping, combine coconut, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup nuts and melted
shortening in small bowl. Stir to mix.
3. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 10-inch springform pan. Flour lightly.
4. For cake, combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup shortening in large bowl. Beat at
high speed of electric mixer until fluffy. Add 1-1/4 cups sugar gradually,
beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes.
5. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Add to
creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating at medium speed 1 minute after
each addition. Spread half of batter (about 2-1/4 cups) into pan. Spoon filling
over batter to within 1/2 inch of edge. Cover with remaining batter. Sprinkle
6. Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from
side of pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not over bake.
Cool 30 minutes. Loosen cake from side of pan with knife or metal spatula.
Remove side of pan. Invert cake on wire rack. Remove bottom of pan using thin
metal spatula or pancake turner. Cool 30 minutes. Place cake, top side up, on
serving plate. Cool completely.
7. For decorations, brush nut halves lightly with caramel topping. Place 1 nut
half in center of each apricot half. Press apricot half around nut. Place filled
apricots around edge of cake. Place nasturtiums in center of cake, if desired