Apricot Pecan Upside-Down Cake
Posted By: Jerseygirl Sat 18 Feb 2006 8:03 am
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can apricot halves, well-drained (pat dry)
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
Heat oven to 375°F. Cut piece of waxed paper to fit bottom of 8-inch square or
11x7-inch baking pan; place on bottom. Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup
butter and nutmeg in small bowl . Stir in pecans. Sprinkle on top of waxed
paper. Place apricot halves, rounded-side down, on top of brown sugar mixture;
set aside. Combine 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup butter in large mixer bowl .
Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes).
Continue beating, adding eggs 1 at a time, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
Add vanilla and lemon peel; continue beating until well mixed (1 minute). Reduce
speed to low. Beat, gradually adding flour, baking powder and salt alternately
with milk and scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Gently
spread batter on top of apricots. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick
inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen sides of cake from pan by running a
knife around inside of pan. Invert cake onto serving platter; let stand 5
minutes. Remove pan. Gently peel off waxed paper; cool completely.