6 boneless chicken breasts, butterfly and flattened
3 Tbs. butter
3 shallots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 mirliton, cooked and chopped (chayote squash)
3 yellow squashes, chopped
1/4 tsp. Creole seasoning
1/2 lb. Monterey jack cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled and seeded
3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. black beans, washed and soaked
1/4 cup sherry
1. Heat the butter in a skillet and saute shallots, garlic, mirliton and squash
with the seasoning until the onions are clear. Cool to lukewarm, then add the
2. Place one-sixth of the stuffing atop a pounded chicken breast. Roll it up and
secure with a toothpick.
3. Combine the salt and pepper with the flour. Dust the chicken rollups with the
4. Heat about a quarter-inch of oil in a heavy skillet until it shimmers. Saute
the chicken rollups until browned and the inside is hot--about eight minutes,
rolling it around.
5. Slice the rollups on an angle into three or four slices.
6. The sauce should be made in advance. Saute all the vegetables except the
beans in the olive oil until they're tender. Then add the beans plus enough
water to cover by about an inch. Cook until the beans are tender.
7. Take one cup of the beans for the sauce and reserve the remainder for another
dish. Puree the beans and the sherry in a blender. Add a little water if
necessary to give the beans a sauce consistency.