2 1/2 c Sugar
1/2 c Dark Karo
1/2 c Water
1/4 ts Salt
2 x Egg whites
1 ts Vanilla
2 tbs Dark Rum
2 ts Instant coffee powder
1/2 ts Ground cinnamon
1. In a 2-quart saucepan, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, water and
salt. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat.
2.Reduce heat. Without stirring, cook until temp of candy thermometer
reach es 248 degrees (soft ball stage).
3. Just before temp. reaches 248 degrees, in a large bowl with mixer at
high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form
4. With mixer at high speed, slowly pour about 1/2 of the hot mixture over
the egg whites.
5. Cook remaining syrup to 272 degrees or until a small amount of mixture
when dropped into very cold water separates into threads which are hard,
but not brittle.
6. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and dark rum. Beating constantly,
slowly pour hot syrup over egg white mixture.
7. After last addition of syrup, beat in coffee powder and ground
cinnamon. Continue beating until mixture begins to lose its gloss and a
small amount of mixture holds a soft peak when dropped from a spoon.
8. If mixture becomes too stiff for mixer, beat with a heavy wooden spoon.
9. Drop by teaspoons full onto wax paper. Store in a tightly covered
container at room temperature.
Makes 1 1/2 pounds.
Note: If you wish, 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans may be stirred into mixture
with coffee powder and cinnamon in step #7.
Yield: 20 Servings