Duck in Pineapple Sauce
1 duckling weighing 1.5 kg (3 1/2 lbs)
1 tbsp corn oil
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml dry red wine
1/2 tsp salt
2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp cornflour
Juice and grated rind of 1 orange
400 g (14 oz) fresh pineapple
1 tbsp pineapple or apricot jam
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6.
2. Wash duck and pat dry before cutting into 6 pieces.
3. Brush with oil, lay in casserole and roast in oven for 20 minutes.
4. Combine pineapple juice with red wine, salt, pepper and lemon juice, pour
over duck and baste with mixture repeatedly during remaining 40 minutes cooking
5. Mix cornflour with orange juice.
6. Quarter and peel pineapple, remove hard core and cut into wedges.
7. After 1 hour remove duck from oven and place pieces in warm serving dish.
Keep warm in switched off oven.
8. Skim fat off roasting juices, then strain juices. Combine with cornflour
mixture, bring to the boil and stir in grated orange rind with additional water
if necessary. Add pineapple pieces and jam to sauce, season well with salt and
white pepper, then pour over duck.
9. Serve with sweet potatoes.
Makes/Serves: Serves 4-6