¼ cup instant espresso-coffee powder
1 cup boiling water
2 cups iced water
3 eggs, separated
1 cup coffee-flavor liqueur
1 pint coffee ice cream
2 cups half-and-half
grated chocolate for garnish
About 2 hours before serving or early in day
1) In medium bowl, stir instant espresso-coffee powder with boiling water until
dissolved. Add iced water; refrigerate until well chilled.
2) In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon
colored, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to medium;
gradually beat in coffee-flavor liqueur (egg yolks may curdle if liqueur is
beaten in too quickly). Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
About 30 minutes before serving:
3) Remove coffee ice ream from freezer; let stand at room temperature to soften
4) In large bowl at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
5) In chilled 3-quart punch bowl, stir egg-yolk mixture, coffee ice cream, and
half-and-half until blended. With wire whisk or rubber spatula, gently fold egg
whites into yolk mixture just until blended. Lightly sprinkle grated chocolate
(Makes 9 cups or eighteen ½ cup