Roast Goose With Sour Cherry Sauce
Source: Cook It Simply
4-5 kg (9-11 lb) oven ready goose
salt and pepper
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
2 bay leaves
2 large thyme sprigs
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
4 shallots, peeled and chopped
225 g (8 oz) sorrel or baby spinach
680 g jar morrello cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
2 tbsp (23 g) Soft Brown Sugar
75 ml (3 fl oz) dry white wine
15 ml (1 tbsp) plain flour
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter butter, softened
15 ml (1 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
few baby spinach leaves or watercress sprigs and fresh cherries if available to
1. Prick the skin of the goose all over with a sharp knife or fork. Pull the
inside fat out of the bird and reserve.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then put the onion quarters, sliced carrot and
celery with the bay leaves and thyme in the goose cavity.
3. Truss with strong cotton or fine twine if necessary and weigh the bird to
calculate the cooking time.
4. Place the goose on a wire rack over a roasting tin and cover it with tin
5. Roast at 200°C (400°F/gas 6) allowing 15 minutes per 450 g (1 lb) plus an
extra 15 minutes. Baste frequently.
6. Discard the tin foil 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
7. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the shallots for 5 minutes.
8. Rinse the sorrel or spinach, drain and roughly chop. Add to the shallots and
cook for 2 minutes. Drain the cherries, reserving the juice, and stir 300 ml
(1/2 pint) of the juice into the pan with the sugar and white wine.
9. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Pass through a food processor to
form a puree. Return to the pan.
10. Beat the remaining butter with the flour to a paste. Bring the sauce to the
boil, then whisk in small spoonfuls of the beurre manie to form a smooth glossy
11. Add the cherries and balsamic vinegar with seasoning to taste and keep it
12. Place the cooked goose on a warmed serving platter and garnish with fresh
spinach or watercress sprigs and fresh cherries if using.
13. Serve with the cherry Sauce
Makes/Serves: Serves 8