Quail with Truffled Stuffing
4 oven-ready quails
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 sprigs fresh basil
200 g (7 oz) goose liver
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
Pinch each salt and freshly
ground black pepper
2 tbsp madeira
2 tsp truffles/canned)
2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
2 tbsp clarified butter
1/2 head endive
2 small seedless satsumas or mandarins
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp sunflower oil
Basil sprigs for garnishing
1. Wash and dry quails, then rub insides with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp white
2. Wash and dry basil, then finely shred. Wash, dry and cube goose liver
3. Melt butter, saute liver, season with pinch each of salt and pepper. Add 1
tbsp madeira and stew uncovered for 5 minutes. Finely chop truffles before
combining with shredded basil, breadcrumbs and liver.
4. Preheat oven to 200° (400°F) Gas Mark 6.
5. Stuff quails with mixture, sew up openings and truss.
6. Heat clarified butter in roasting pan, brown quails thoroughly all over, then
place in bottom of oven for 20 minutes to roast.
7. Pick over, wash and shred endive. Peel mandarins and cut into segments.
Combine orange juice with 1/2 tsp salt, remaining madeira and oil. Pour over
mandarin segments and endive and toss.
8. Garnish with sprigs of basil.
9. Remove quail from oven, cool, then remove trussing string and serve quail
arranged on endive salad.
Makes/Serves: Serves 2-4