Roast Goose With Apples And Prunes
4-5 kg (9-11 lbs) oven-ready goose, with giblets
salt and pepper
1 large onion, peeled
1 tbsp (1/2 oz) butter
450 g (1 lb) no soak prunes
60 ml (4 tbsp) port
15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh chopped sage
2 cups (4 oz) 120g fresh whole meal breadcrumbs
6 Cox's Orange Pippin apples
300 ml (1/2 pint) dry white wine
1. Prick the skin of the goose all over with a sharp skewer or fork.
2. Pull the inside fat out of the bird and reserve.
3. Rub seasoning over the skin.
4. To make the stuffing, chop the onion. Finely chop the goose liver.
5. Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook for 5-6
minutes, until softened. Add the goose liver and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
6. Roughly chop half the prunes and stir into the onion with the port. Cover and
cook gently for 5 minutes.
7. Add the sage, breadcrumbs and seasoning and mix thoroughly. Remove from the
heat. Spoon the stuffing into the neck end of the goose, then truss with strong
cotton or fine string.
8. Weigh the bird to calculate the cooking time. Put on a wire rack placed in a
9. Cover the breast with the reserved fat, then with tin foil. Roast at 200°C
(400°F/gas 6) for 15 minutes per 450 g (1 lb) plus 15 minutes, basting
10. Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the goose and
rack, then drain off the fat from the roasting tin and discard.
11. Core the apples and cut into eighths, then add to the tin with the remaining
prunes and wine.
12. Replace the goose on the rack over the roasting tin, discarding the tin foil
and fat. Cook, uncovered, for the last 30 minutes.
13. Serve the roast goose with the cooking juices, apples and prunes with
potatoes and braised red cabbage.
Makes/Serves: Serves 8