Roast Pheasant Stuffed With Apples
1/2 cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 sprig thyme or a teaspoon dried thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
1 tablespoon double cream
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 / 425°F / 220°C
2. Stuff the pheasant with the apple pieces and thyme, and season generously.
3. Wrap the breast with a piece of buttered greaseproof paper. Put it in an
ovenproof casserole, put on the lid and place it in the oven for an hour.
4. About 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, take off the lid and
remove the buttered paper.
5. The pheasant will have cooked in its own juices and those of the apple, and
will be lovely and moist.
6. Cook it uncovered for the last 10 minutes to allow the breast to brown.
7. When cooked, take it out and put to rest in a warm place for 5 minutes.
8. Take the apple out of the pheasant and place in a little non-stick saucepan.
9. Add the redcurrant jelly and double cream, and heat until the thyme flavored
apple has completely pureed, and the redcurrant jelly and cream have mixed into
10. Carve the pheasant as you would a chicken and serve some of the sauce on
each plate to eat with it.
Makes/Serves: Serves Two To Four