Sweet Potato Chocolate Bars
1 1/2 pounds medium-size sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3 cups milk
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups pecan pieces
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (11/2 sticks)
8 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Rub the sweet potatoes with the vegetable oil and place on a baking sheet
lined with parchment paper. Bake until fork-tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove
from the oven and let cool, then peel and mash in a large bowl.
3. Add to the mashed potatoes the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla,
eggs, and 2 1/2 cups of the milk and mix well. Set aside.
4. Lower the oven temperature to 350.
5. Combine the graham cracker crumbs and pecan pieces in a food processor and
process for about 1 minute, to make a fine meal. With the motor running,
gradually pour the melted butter through the feed tube and process for 1 minute.
6. Transfer the crumb mixture to a 13 by 18-inch baking pan and, using your
fingers, firmly press the crumbs evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of the
7. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the crust and spread evenly with a rubber
8. Put the chocolate morsels and the remaining 1/2 cup milk in a medium-size
saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly until the chocolate melts and the
mixture is smooth. Spoon the chocolate in three rows, about 2 inches apart,
lengthwise over the sweet potato mixture. Then, with a knife, making a zigzag
pattern to marbleize the chocolate
and the sweet potato mixture.
9. Bake until the edges are browned and the filling is set, 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely. To serve, cut into bars.