Chocolate-Orange Marmalade Brownies
1 1/2 cups pecan or walnut
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup good-quality orange marmalade
3 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 cup bleached all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Spread the nuts in a large, shallow baking pan and toast in the oven about 8
minutes, or until lightly toasted.
3. Remove and cool, then break them into pieces and reserve.
4. Grease a 13x9 1/2-inch baking pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter.
5. In the top of a double boiler, over simmering water, place the remaining
butter and the chocolate.
6. Cover and heat until the chocolate is almost completely melted.
7. Remove from the heat.
8. Uncover and stir until smooth.
9. Add the marmalade, stirring until it has melted and combined with the
10. Stir in the vanilla extract and orange extract and set aside until it is
warm, but no longer hot.
11. Sift the flour and salt and reserve.
12. In the bowl of a mixer or by hand, beat the eggs until frothy.
13. Add the sugar and beat until light colored and thickened (about 5 minutes).
14. With the mixer on low, add the warm chocolate mixture, scraping the bowl and
beating the mixture for a few seconds to combine.
15. Add the flour and salt.
16. Scrape the bowl and beat just until the flour has been combined.
17. Do not over beat.
18. By hand, stir in the nuts and pour the batter into the prepared pan,
smoothing it out with a spatula.
19. Bake about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out
20. Cool in the pan.
21. Cut into 18 3x2 inch brownies and serve or wrap individually in plastic
22. Full flavor develops after 24 hours.
23. Serve alone or topped with ice cream.