Centennial Chocolate Baked Alaska
Source: Hershey's Chocolate
• 1 package (about 8 oz.) yellow cake mix (1-layer size)
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup water, divided
• 1 bar (1 oz.) HERSHEY'S Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, melted
• 1 egg
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 4 cups (1 qt.) strawberry ice cream, or favorite flavor
• MERINGUE (recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 8-inch round pan. In medium bowl, stir
together cake mix and sugar; add 1/3 cup water, melted chocolate and egg,
beating until blended. Add oil and remaining 1/4 cup water; beat until smooth
and well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until
wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan
to wire rack. Cool completely. Cover; freeze until firm.
2. Meanwhile, line 2-1/2 quart dome-shaped bowl with foil. Soften ice cream and
pack evenly into prepared bowl. Cover; freeze until firm.
3. Prepare MERINGUE. Heat oven to 450°F. Cover wooden board or cookie sheet with
foil. Center frozen cake layer on foil; invert and unmold ice cream onto top.
Peel off foil from ice cream. Spread meringue evenly over entire surface,
covering holes and sealing edges down to foil. Bake 3 to 5 minutes or just until
lightly browned. Remove from oven; serve immediately. Or, cover with cake saver
lid (not foil or plastic wrap) and immediately return to freezer; serve frozen.
10 to 12 servings.
MERINGUE: In large bowl, stir together 1/2 cup cold water, 1 tablespoon meringue
powder and 1/4 cup sugar. Beat 5 minutes until blended; gradually add additional
1/4 cup sugar, beating until meringue is stiff and dry. Use immediately.