Watermelon Ice Cream
From chef and author Emeril Lagasse
4 quarts watermelon pieces with juice
1 quart heavy cream
2 cups sugar
8 egg yolks
1 pound semi- sweet chocolate chips
1. Split the watermelon in half, reserving the other half for a later use. Using
a large spoon, remove the fruit from the halved watermelon. Using your hands and
knife, remove all seeds from watermelon and discard.
2. Dice watermelon into 2 inch pieces and put in a large bowl with the juice. In
a large saucepan over medium heat, combine heavy cream and sugar. Bring the
mixture up to a simmer.
3. Whisk the egg yolks until smooth and temper into the hot cream mixture. Cook
the egg mixture for four minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. Pour hot cream mixture over watermelon pieces and mix thoroughly. Cool to
5. Using a hand held blender puree the mixture until smooth and strain.
6. Add the ice cream mixture with the chocolate chips to the ice cream machine.
7. Follow ice cream machine directions.
8. Serve ice cream or scoop out ice
cream and place ice cream back into the empty half of watermelon.
9. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze until very firm.
10. To serve, slice watermelon into 1 inch slices.
Yields: 1 gallon ice cream