Cherry Bread Pudding
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 lb. ripe cherries, rinsed and drained
3 slices white bread, toasted
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cherry preserves
4 tsp granulated sugar, divided
1 tsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp powdered sugar
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almonds on a cookie sheet, and
bake about 5 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Leave oven on.
2. Pit the cherries. Coarsely crumble the toasted bread, place it in a bowl with
the milk and mix well. Add cherries, all but 2 tablespoons of the almonds, and
the cherry preserves.
3. In another bowl, mix the reserved 2 tablespoons of almonds with 2 teaspoons
of the granulated sugar.
4. Grease a 6-cup gratin dish with the butter, and sprinkle it with the
remaining 2 teaspoons granulated sugar. Pour the cherry mixture into the dish,
and top with the almond-sugar mixture.
5. Bake the pudding for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool to lukewarm, sprinkle it with
powdered sugar, and serve with the sour cream or yogurt.
Makes 6 servings.