Soft Chocolate Toblerone Pudding
Posted by: Tuddles Tue, 20 Apr 2004, at 2:17 p.m.
250g/9oz Toblerone chocolate, broken into small pieces
300ml/½ pint milk
55g/2oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g/3oz light muscovado sugar
30g/1oz cocoa powder
30g/1oz self-raising flour
2 eggs, separated
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and grease a 1.5 litre/2½ pint shallow
ovenproof dish with a little butter
2. Place the pieces of Toblerone and the milk in a saucepan and gently heat
until the chocolate has melted into the milk, then put to one side to cool
3. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon. Sift
in the cocoa powder and flour and add the egg yolks. Mix well and then pour in
the chocolate milk, stirring until it is smooth.
4. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. This can be done using an
electric hand whisk - just make sure you don't use too high a speed as the egg
whites will become thick very quickly but won't hold a huge amount of air, which
is what's needed for the pudding. Gently fold the whites into the chocolate
mixture using a large metal spoon or spatula until totally mixed in.
5. Pour into the greased dish and sit inside a deep roasting tray. Pour enough
hot water into the roasting tray to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
6.Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes until almost set; there should still
be a slight wobble when the dish is lightly tapped. Remove the dish from the
tray and leave to cool for about 5 minutes before serving as it is or with lots
of cream or ice cream.