Recipe by Chief Kerry Koen
3 Pounds pealed carrots - diagonal, 1/2-inch cut
2-cups dried cranberries (Craisins by Ocean Spray work great)
1 1/2-cups orange juice
1-cup light brown sugar - well packed
8-tbsp butter - divided
Kosher salt to taste
Ground white pepper to taste
Corn starch and water to make a slurry for thickening
Zest from one orange
Finely chopped parsley
1. Soften the dried cranberries in warm water for about 2 hours. Drain and
reserve until ready for use.
2. In a medium size stockpot, cook the carrots by placing them in cold, salted
water and bringing them to a boil. Reduce to a fast simmer and cook until fork
3. In a saucepan mix together the orange juice, honey, sugar and 1/2 of the
4. Over medium heat, reduce this mixture by half.
5. Add the drained cranberries and reduce the liquid again by half.
6. Whisk in the remaining butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Thicken slightly with cornstarch slurry if necessary.
7. Drain the carrots well and add the orange juice/cranberry reduction, coating
the carrots thoroughly.
8. Garnish with orange zest and finely chopped parsley.
Yield: Approximately 8 (6 oz.) servings