Cod Au Gratin
1 lb. cod fillets, cut into cubes
1/4 C. butter
1/4 C. flour, all-purpose
1 1/4 C milk
1 t. salt
pepper to taste
1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 C bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
1/2 C cheddar cheese, grated
1. preheat oven to 375. Place cod in greased baking dish or individual baking
2. In heavy saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth and remove from
3. Gradually stir in half the milk; return to heat and beat until smooth and
shiny. Gradually add remaining milk, salt, pepper and onion. Cook, stirring
until smooth and thickened.
4. Pour sauce over fish and sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese.
5. Bake in 375 oven for 15-30 minutes until sauce bubbles and fish is cooked.