4 herrings, boned and filleted
1/2 stick butter
4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 medium tart apples, peeled and finely chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Leave the fish to soak in salted water for 1 hour. Drain
2. Rub half the butter over the sides and bottom of an ovenproof dish. Line
sides and bottom with some of the potato slices.
3. Arrange the fillets and chopped apple in alternate layers in the dish, season
each layer with salt and freshly ground pepper, finish with a layer of potatoes.
4. Dot with remaining butter, cover and bake in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4
for 30 minutes.
5. Remove the cover, and return the dish to the oven for a further 15 minutes,
until the top is browned.