Grilled Bluefish With Spicy Tomato Jam
* 3 medium tomatoes (1 pound)
* 1 small onion
* 1/3 cup apple jelly
* 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
* 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 4 6-ounce mackerel or bluefish fillets with skin
1) Have ready a bowl of ice and cold water.
2) Cut an X in blossom end of each tomato, then place them in a saucepan of
boiling water and blanch for 10 seconds.
3) With a slotted spoon transfer tomatoes to ice water to stop cooking.
4) Peel tomatoes, then seed and chop.
5) Chop onion
6) In a 1-quart saucepan bring tomatoes, onion, jelly, vinegar, tarragon, red
pepper flakes, and salt to a boil over
moderately low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until thick, 30 to 40
7) Cool jam to room temperature. Jam keeps, covered and chilled,for one month.
Bring jam to room temperature
8) Prepare the grill
9) Season mackerel fillets with salt and pepper and grill, skin sides down, on a
lightly oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches
over glowing coals until just cooked through, 9 to 13 minutes. (Do not turn
10) Serve each fillet topped with 2 tablespoons jam.