Polynesian Fruit Salad
1 very large, fresh pineapple
2 fresh pears
1 cup (237 ml) seedless, white grapes
1 large,fresh peach
1 cup (237 ml)fresh white cherries, stoned
2 cups (473 ml)fresh strawberries, cut in half
4 tbsp.(60 ml)sugar*
Juice of 2 lemons
1.Be sure pineapple has a fine, unbroken stem as it will be part of the
2. Cut pineapple in half lengthwise through stem. Cut out hard center from each
half and discard. Cut out flesh carefully, with a grapefruit knife, leaving a
thin layer next to husk. Set shells aside in a cool place.
3. On a plate, cut pineapple flesh into small cubes. Put juice left in plate
aside in a cup.
4. Peel oranges in thin rounds, then cut rounds in half again.
5. Peel pears and cut in small chunks.
6. Cut peach into thin slices.
7. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple cubes, orange slices, pear chunks,
grapes, peach slices, cherries and strawberry halves. Mix all together so as not
to break fruit, adding sugar, if desired.
8. Pour lemon juice and some of the reserved pineapple juice over fruit in bowl.
Mix lightly. Refrigerate salad at least 3 hours before serving.
9. To serve, spoon fruit salad into empty pineapple shells, which have been
arranged on a large platter side by side, with leaves of one at one end of dish,
and leaves of the other at opposite end.
10.Sprinkle grated coconut over top.