Watermelon Basket Fruit Salad
1 Large watermelon (about 15 pounds)
2 Cantaloupe melons
2 Honeydew melons
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Fresh lime juice
1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Orange-flavored liquer (optional)
2 teaspoons Grated lime peel
3 cups Sliced fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
2 cups Black or red seedless grapes, washed and halved
Carving The Basket:
1. Lay a dampened dish towel on a counter or table and place melon on top to
prevent it from rolling.
2. With a water-soluble marker, draw an outline of a basket onto melon, making
sure the handle is at least 1 1/4 inches wide.
3. Using a large, sharp knife, carefully cut melon along marker line.
4. Remove excess rind and set aside. With a melon baller, scoop out all the
watermelon flesh and place in a large glass or ceramic bowl; set aside.
5. With a vegetable peeler, even out scalloped edges of watermelon. Cover
watermelon basket with clear plastic wrap and set aside.
Making The Fruit Salad
1. With a melon baller, scoop out flesh from cantaloupes and honeydews.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, lime juice, lemon juice, orange liquor and
lime peel. Stir well.
3. Add all melon balls, strawberries and grapes; toss to combine. Allow fruit to
chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4. Just before serving, transfer fruit salad to watermelon basket.