Posted by: Tuddles Sun, 21 Mar 2004, at 11:43 a.m.
225g/8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
25g/1oz mature cheddar cheese, grated
150ml/5fl oz milk
1. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the cheese and then the milk to get a soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round
2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking
sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to
use it all up.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until
well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 8-12 scones