Godiva Bittersweet Chocolate Scones
Macerated Dried Cherries:
1 cup dried sweet cherries
2 tablespoons rum
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 bar (1.5 ounces) Godiva Dark Chocolate, chopped
2 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate (optional)
Make the macerated cherries:
Place cherries and rum in bowl. Stir and let stand, uncovered, for 2 hours.
Make the scone dough:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt in
mixing bowl. Cut in butter until small, pearl-size bits form, using pastry
blender. Whisk together heavy cream, eggs and vanilla extract in another small
bowl. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients with soaked cherries and chocolate.
Stir just until mixed. Dough will be slightly sticky to touch.
3. Turn dough onto floured work surface and knead briefly 6 to 8 times. Pat
dough into 9-inch round disc. Cut into 12 wedges. Place on baking sheet, about 2
4. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm as is or cool scones on
baking sheets for 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.
5. Place chocolate in microwave-safe cup. Microwave on medium (50% power) for 1
minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds more or until chocolate is softened. Stir
until smooth and let cool.
6. Dip one corner of each scone into melted chocolate. Place chocolate-coated
scones on sheets of waxed paper. Let stand until chocolate has set. Serve scones
same day they are made.