Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 400° (F).
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, soda
and salt. Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes and put into the flour mixture.
With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse
3. In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add this
mixture to the flour mixture and stir. Add chocolate chips and hazelnuts, if
4. Divide the dough into 8 pieces, shaping them into mounds, and place on a
lightly greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 17 to 19
minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the
center of a scone comes out clean.
5. Remove the scones from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm
or cool. Store in an airtight container or plastic bag. The scones may be
Makes 8 scones.