St. Patty's Minted Shortbread Cookies
Posted by: Tuddles Sun 7 Mar 2004 3:50 am
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
9 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh peppermint leaves
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175° C).
1. In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until smooth. Mix in the
egg and the extracts. Add the flour, then stir in the peppermint leaves and
salt. Mix until smooth.
2. Place the dough on plastic wrap and roll it into a tube 1 1/4 inch around.
Wrap again in plastic, then place in the refrigerator until the dough is
firm—about 1 hour.
3. Unwrap dough and slice it into 1/4-inch thick slices. Keep the slices even
and thin, and rotate the tube to keep it round.
4. Place the dough slices on the cookie sheets.
5. Put cookie sheets into the hot oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the
bottom edges are just barely brown. Use the spatula to remove the cookies from
the sheet and place them on a rack to cool.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.