Cranberry Meringue Pie
Posted by: Jack Mon, 19 Apr 2004, at 1:29 p.m.
Source: NY Times Magazine
For the crust:
1 1/2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
For the cranberry curd:
2 1/2 cups frozen cranberries
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
8 large egg yolks
For the cranberry filling:
3 1/4 cups frozen cranberries (1 bag)
3/4 cup sugar
For the meringue:
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries.
1. To make the crust, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together the
crumbs, butter and sugar. Scrape into a 9-inch glass pie plate and press evenly
across the bottom and sides. Bake until the crust just begins to brown, 7 to 10
minutes. Set aside.
2. To make the curd, put the cranberries and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan. Heat
until the cranberries pop, about 5 minutes. Puree in a food processor and strain
through a sieve. Return to the pan, add the butter and sugar and heat until the
butter melts and sugar dissolves.
3. Whisk the yolks until smooth. Very slowly whisk in the hot cranberry mixture.
Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,
until it thickens a bit, about 5 minutes. (Do not allow to boil, or the eggs
will scramble.) Set aside.
4. To make the filling, place the cranberries, sugar and 1/2 cup water in a
small saucepan. Boil just until the sugar melts. Set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Position a rack in the top third of the
oven. Have the curd and filling very hot. (Reheat the curd gently, stirring, to
avoid scrambling the eggs.)
6. To make the meringue, put the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small
saucepan. Stir in 1/3 cup water. Place over medium heat and stir until the
mixture boils and becomes translucent. Set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the egg
whites and salt until fluffy. Slowly add remaining sugar. Reduce speed to medium
and add cornstarch mixture a tablespoon at a time. Beat just until meringue is
glossy and holds stiff peaks. (Do not over beat.) Fold in the dried cranberries.
7. Pour off any liquid from the filling and spread it in the pie shell. Top it
with the cranberry curd. Add the meringue, covering the filling completely and
making little decorative peaks. Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any
drips and bake until meringue peaks are nicely browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let
cool before serving or refrigerating.
Yield: 8 servings.