Red Onion and Almond-Stuffed
4 small winter squashes
(carnival, acorn, golden acorn, delicata, or other)
1 tablespoon margarine or whipped butter
1 large red onion, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. The squashes may be baked in the oven or microwave. If you are going to use
the oven, preheat it to 375 degrees. F.
2. Cut the squashes in half lengthwise. Place the halves in a baking dish, cut
side up, with about 1 /2 inch of water, and cover with foil. Bake until easily
pierced with a knife but still holding their shape, 30 to 40 minutes, depending
on the type and size of squash used. Or microwave, using as a rule of thumb 4 to
7 minutes each for each squash. Test occasionally to make sure they don't get
3. When the squashes are cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds.
Scoop out the pulp and transfer to a mixing bowl, leaving a sturdy shell of
about 1/4 inch thick all around.
4. Heat the margarine in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium
heat until golden. Add the almonds and continue to sauté until they give off a
5. Combine the onion mixture with the squash pulp. Add the ginger, season with
salt and pepper, and stir together. Stuff back into the squash shells. Reheat in
the microwave or oven, just until heated through, and serve.