Turkey Breast with Spinach
1 turkey breast weighing 1.5 kg (3 1/4 lbs), boned and skinned
(14 oz) young spinach
2 medium onions
2 garlic cloves
1 bread roll
(2 oz) Parmesan cheese
(2 oz) full fat soft cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
2 tbsp slivered almonds
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp dried thyme
4 tbsp peanut oil
(4 fl oz) 1/2 cup boiling water
(7 oz) button mushrooms
1 bunch parsley
(1 oz) butter
Pinch each salt and freshly ground white pepper
(9 fl oz) 1 cup soured cream
(9 fl oz) 1 cup single cream
1. Pick over spinach and wash it, then place, with no extra water, in saucepan
and cook carefully until tender. Drain in sieve and chop.
2. Peel onions and garlic, then chop both finely.
3. Soak bread roll in cold water.
4. Grate Parmesan and chop soft cheese.
5. Heat oil in pan and saute onion and garlic gently for 5 minutes without
browning. Add spinach and continue to cook, stirring well, until all liquid has
evaporated. Transfer to a bowl.
6. Squeeze water out of bread roll and crumble. Combine with cheeses, egg,
breadcrumbs, slivered almonds, salt, oregano, pepper and nutmeg, and stir into
spinach mixture. Season this filling well
7. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6.
8. Sew up cuts in turkey breast where bones were removed. Cut a deep slit in
breast to form a pocket. Fill with spinach mixture and sew up.
9. Rub well with salt, pepper and thyme and put in roasting pan. Heat peanut oil
until very hot and pour over turkey. Put in bottom of oven and roast for 1 1/2
hours, pouring hot water frequently into pan and basting turkey with cooking
10. To make the sauce, trim, wipe and slice mushrooms thinly. Peel and chop
shallots. Wash, dry and chop parsley.
11. Heat butter in pan, saute mushrooms for 3 minutes over high heat, then add
shallots and parsley and saute together. Season with salt and pepper and take
off heat. Stir in cream and soured cream, then cover and chill.
12. When turkey is cool, wrap in aluminum foil and put in refrigerator for 6
13. Carve turkey in slices and serve with the cold sauce.
Makes/Serves: Serves 8-10