Baked Chicken and Ziti
1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4" strips
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
1 teaspoon Italian, herb seasoning
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups ziti or penne
2/3 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat. Add the
chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.
Transfer to a plate.
2. Preheat the oven to 375º F.
3. Spray the same skillet with more nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion and
garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the
tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and
simmer, uncovered, stirring as needed, until the mixture is thickened slightly,
4. Meanwhile, cook the ziti according to package directions. Drain and mix with
the ricotta cheese.
5. Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 13 X 9" baking pan, layer with the
ziti mixture, the chicken and the remaining tomato mixture. Sprinkle with the
cheeses. Bake until hot and bubbling and the cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.
PER SERVING: 381 Calories, 5 g Total Fat, 2 g Saturated Fat, 40 mg Cholesterol,
209 mg Sodium, 52 g Total Carbohydrate, 3 g Dietary Fiber, 31 g Protein, 371 mg
SERVING PROVIDES: 2 Breads, 1 Fruit/Vegetable, 3 Protein/Milks.
POINTS PER SERVING: 7.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS