WW: Garlic Roasted Chicken With Gravy
Posted by: DSredTX Wed, 11 Feb 2004, at 5:09 p.m
1 (3 1/2-lb.) chicken
1 lemon, halved
1 onion, halved
4 rosemary sprigs OR 3/4 tsp. dried
4 thyme sprigs OR 1/2 tsp. dried
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 scallion, minced
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried sage leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. spray the rack of a roasting pan with nonstick
cooking spray. Remove the chicken giblets and neck from body cavity; refrigerate
or freeze for another use. Rinse the chicken under cold running water inside and
out; pat dry with paper towels.
2. Place the lemon, onion, rosemary, thyme and garlic in the body cavity. Place
the chicken, breast-side up, on the rack in the roasting pan. Roast 30 minutes;
pour the broth and lemon juice over the chicken.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 325ºF. Roast, basting frequently, until cooked
through and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced in the thickest part
with a fork, about 1 hour longer. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; let
stand 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, pour the pan juices into a medium saucepan, skimming off any fat
and reserving 1 tablespoon of the juices in a small bowl. Dissolve the
cornstarch in the reserved juices. Add the wine, scallion, soy sauce, sage and
1/4 cup water to the saucepan; bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes. Reduce the
heat to low and whisk in the dissolved cornstarch; cook, stirring constantly,
until the gravy thickens, about 1 minute.
5. Carve the chicken and serve with gravy. Remove the skin before eating.
Fat: 10.0 g, Calories: 293, Fiber: 0