Chili Relleno Tamales
2 tomatoes -- diced
2 chipotles in adobo -- minced
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 Anaheim chili peppers
22 corn husks -- soaked
masa dough for savory tamales
2/3 cup Monterey jack cheese -- cubed
1. Combine the tomatoes, chipotles, onion, cilantro and salt and set in the
fridge to chill for an hour.
2. Cut a small slit in the Anaheim chiles and roast them over a flame; steam
them in a bag, then peel and seed them. Cut each pepper into 4 pieces.
3. Tear 2 of the corn husks into strips for tying.
Masa for Savory Tamales
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups masa harina
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Beat the shortening in a bowl with a whisk until fluffy.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the masa harina and salt. In a separate bowl,
combine the stock and water.
3. With an electric mixer (or a wooden spoon), beat the masa and liquid,
alternately, into the shortening, adding just enough liquid to make a stiff
dough. Beat in the baking powder last.
NOTES : A basic dough that can be paired with many fillings. Enough dough for
Assembly: Spread 1-2 Tbs. of the dough in the center of a husk and put a piece
of the roasted Anaheim in the center of the dough; add 2 cubes of cheese. Spread
an additional tbs of the dough over the filling; fold and tie the tamale. Steam
for 1 hour.