Ernesto's Mexican Food
1901 16th Street (Corner of 16th & S) Sacramento, CA 95814; (916) 441-5850
2 lbs. chicken breast (cut into ½'' cubes)
4 Chile Pasilla or Chile Ancho
8 Chile California
5 garlic cloves
2 cups carrots (sliced)
1 cup onion (sliced)
2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
1 cup corn
1 pinch pepper
1 pinch salt
1 pinch cumin
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. cooking oil
1. The base sauce of our Navajo Chicken is made with a 2:1 combination of chile
California and Chile Pasilla.
2. Prepare Chiles by removing stems. Meanwhile, bring 3-4 cups of water to a
boil in a pan; add Chile Ancho, Chile California, and garlic cloves. Cook for
10-15 minutes until soft.
3. Puree Chiles and garlic in a blender, then strain into a pan and add pinch of
cumin, pinch of pepper, and pinch of salt.
4. Stir to mix. Achieve consistency by slowly mixing 3 tbsp. of flour with ¼ cup
5. In a small pan, brown cubed chicken breasts, carrots, mushrooms, and add
onions with 3 tbsp. of cooking oil. Brown all sides evenly, this should take
about 10 minutes.
6. Remove all excess oil, stir in pureed ingredients, add the corn, and let
simmer for 15-20 minutes.
7. Taste for flavor, for more spicing add jalapenos. Serves 6 people.